POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's crazy thing : Re: Today's crazy thing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's crazy thing
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Oct 2009 16:38:32
Message: <4aca5948$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Granted, calling what americans do "football" is a stretch
>
>   I have always wondered why they call it football

Trolling backwards thru wikipedia history sections...

"The game of football which was played at Rugby School between 1750 and 1859
permitted handling of the ball, but no-one was allowed to run with it in
their hands towards the opposition's goal."  I don't know how relevant that
is, tho, but apparently rugby was also called "football" originally.

American football is much closer to rugby than soccer.

Heard this weekend:
"Wow, that was quite a hit. It's taking him a while to get up."
"Well, he's moving his arms and legs, so he should be alright."
"They're carrying him off the field now."
"He'll be fine, but the nine players carrying him off all have hernias now."

Turns out he didn't fit in the MRI at the hospital, either.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)