POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's crazy thing : Re: Today's crazy thing Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:54:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's crazy thing
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 5 Oct 2009 13:43:39
Message: <4aca304b$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>> If I ever needed a reason to dislike the
>> stereo-typical southern, flannel-wearing, deer antlers in pickup truck
>> hunters, that was it.
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me. What's wrong with the idea of teaching
> gun safety in jr high?  They rarely taught us anything "practical"
> beyond shop class.

Teaching it is a great idea. And in a county high school where lots of
the families hunt just to have enough food in the winter, it is a
necessity. Even at a younger age it would have been smart, since by 8th
grade most of these kids had been hunting with parents.

No, my reason was because these guys had no business teaching anything.
The lesson of "don't pull the trigger because the gun is always loaded"
involved the teaching handing a kid a gun, teaching them how to check if
it is loaded, and then when the kid refuses to pull the trigger the
teacher would continue to tell them the lesson says they need to pull
the trigger to demonstrate. After a few times of this "you need to" "but
you said not to" the kid inevitably gives in because the teacher says
they have to. Then the teacher gets to yell "I told you not to ever do
that!" Sure, it teaches them to not trust people in authority while
anyone is holding a gun. It also undermines the rest of the class,
because you realize these guys are idiots.