POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A fatal mistake : Re: A fatal mistake Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A fatal mistake
From: nemesis
Date: 5 Oct 2009 12:53:56
Message: <4aca24a4$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 escreveu:
> manually, delete the faces you don't want any more. One at a time. You
> see, any curved surface becomes 25,000 polygons, which you must delete
> individually, one at a time.

haha, stop being crazy, dude.  You surely have some sort of "block"
select or edge loop to region thing which will select countless in a
single move.

> So, now you have one pipe. But I want 23 pipes. So, first select the
> pipe and ask SketchUp to make 12 copies of it. (Fortunately, there *is*
> an automatic way to do this!) Now select 11 of those copies, and make
> them all 5% smaller. Select 10 copies, make them all 5% smaller. Select
> 9 copies. Make them all 5% smaller. (Are you bored yet?) Eventually, you
> have 12 pipes, all different sizes. Now the fun part. Copy them,
> reposition the copy. Mirror it. (Do NOT rotate it as I mistakenly did!)
> Spent 20 minutes trying to make it line up properly with the existing
> pipes.

There's surely a faster and simpler workflow for that.  I'm sure you
didn't get into a Haskell expert in a single weekend.

> I can't help but feel that POV-Ray could have done this radically
> faster. And the pipes would be *real* cylinders, not 24-gon prisms. And
> they would be *shiny*!

They will be shiny once you export them for povray to render. ;)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9