POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A fatal mistake : Re: A fatal mistake Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A fatal mistake
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Oct 2009 08:48:29
Message: <4ac9eb1d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Last I checked, it's slightly expensive. ;-)
>
> I have no idea about AutoCAD, but I think a base license of Catia is
> about 5K.  For personal use, ermm, no not really :-)

LOL! OK, where's my latest Insight spam... OK, Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2010,

I'm *so* not trying that. :-P

>> I doubt I'll ever need to simulate thermals.
>
> Me too :-) But in my job I do.

Yeah, well, you make small hot things, right? ;-)

>> (Do you have any idea what the "bending moment of reinforced concrete"
>> is? I haven't.)
>
> The material doesn't matter, bending moment is just a description of the
> internal torques of a bent object.  If you cut a bent object (eg a bent
> ruler) obviously the two halves would spring back to their normal flat
> shapes, the bending moment is the torque you would need to apply to each
> side of the cut to keep the original bent shape.

I was chatting to some guy who apparently designs bridges and so forth.
Maybe not "bridges" as such, but things like motorway flyovers, ramps,
etc. Apparently it's kind of important to know about such things...

Personally, I know very little about this kind of thing. Although I did
read somewhere that at high speeds, materials behave as if they are
harder and more brittle than they are. Which would explain why jumping
belly-first into a pool of soft, liquid water is so God-damned painful. o_O