POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A fatal mistake : Re: A fatal mistake Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A fatal mistake
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Oct 2009 08:05:00
Message: <4ac9e0ec@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah. How SketchUp does intersection is that you line up the two
>> objects, press "intersect", and then delete the geometry you don't want.
>
> Blender too.  I usually move the original forms to another hidden layer.

Well, it does mean that you have one "intersect" operator rather than a
seperate union, intersection and difference. But for complicated meshes,
it takes forever...

>> Manually. Which, for curved surfaces, takes a really long time.
>> (Because, naturally, those surfaces aren't really curved. Stupid idea...)
>
> What makes you think really curved surfaces would be faster?

Treating a curve as one edge, rather than 25,000 edges, makes it far
faster for a human to work on. (I make no claims about how easy or hard
it is for the computer to work with.)

> BTW, if you want curved surfaces, subdivision surfaces is the way to go
> (no idea if Sketchup handles them).

Nope. SketchUp handles only straight lines. The whole program is
optimised for working with geometry with lots of lines in it. If you
want fluid, organic shapes, SketchUp is a very bad choice.