POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A fatal mistake : Re: A fatal mistake Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A fatal mistake
From: nemesis
Date: 5 Oct 2009 08:00:17
Message: <4ac9dfd1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Yeah. How SketchUp does intersection is that you line up the two
> objects, press "intersect", and then delete the geometry you don't want.

Blender too.  I usually move the original forms to another hidden layer.

> Manually. Which, for curved surfaces, takes a really long time.
> (Because, naturally, those surfaces aren't really curved. Stupid
> idea...)

What makes you think really curved surfaces would be faster?

BTW, if you want curved surfaces, subdivision surfaces is the way to go
(no idea if Sketchup handles them).  That way, you may keep and handle
operations on very simple "cage" mesh while having a very "curved" final
surface... I'm guessing intersecting between 2 "low-poly" cage meshes is
way faster than between 2 high-poly ones.  You intersect 2 low-poly
cages and give the resulting mesh a subdivision "modifier"...