POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A fatal mistake : Re: A fatal mistake Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:50:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A fatal mistake
From: scott
Date: 5 Oct 2009 06:38:28
Message: <4ac9cca4@news.povray.org>
> Presumably CAD also allows you to do things like "find a point 3/5 along
> the length of this edge".

AFAIK there is not usually any automatic way to do that, you'd just need to
add a formula to one of the point dimensions that says something like
"Edge1.Length * 3/5".  That way, whenever the length of that edge changes,
the point is always fixed 3/5 of the way along.  You could then draw some
geometry referenced to that point, then of course that would all move with
the point too.  It gets a bit like POV, where you can just define a variable
for something like "screw position", and then drive lots of other features
like holes and cut-outs in lots of parts from that one variable.  The
benefit of this is when your customer says "ok we need that screw moved
1.2mm" it only takes you a few seconds to update all your parts rather than
an hour or two.

> the best feature of all is the way surfaces "stick" to each other as soon
> as they touch...
> Also, you can't delete any item smaller than a certain size on screen. You
> have to zoom in first. And the minimum size is significantly larger than
> you'd expect.

I would expect there would be settings for these sorts of things?