POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple question : Re: Simple question Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:47:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple question
From: Chris B
Date: 5 Oct 2009 04:47:48
Message: <4ac9b2b4$1@news.povray.org>
"Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4ac9720b3f8a411cac4259f0@news.povray.org...
> I'd never heard of "+fj"!   It's always seemed missing even if jpeg is a
> better
> distribution format than a "mastering" format.  I can imagine there being
> some
> rare uses.  That said, I have to agree with Trevor's comment. :)

Well, yes and no. JPEG is a lossy format (it's designed that way), but I
find it by far and away the most convenient when working on graphics
destined for web pages. Any implication that it's not a worthy format to be
supported by POV-Ray makes me a tad nervous. I think it should find its way
into the documentation, with a warning that it's not a loss-free format and
that the results will unavoidably contain JPEG artifacts. People could then
simply use another format for any process that requires some sort of top
quality master.

Regards,
Chris B.