POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's crazy thing : Re: Today's crazy thing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's crazy thing
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Oct 2009 23:56:43
Message: <4ac96e7b$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Its also the country with the highest number of people in jail,

Not necessarily. We count people in jail awaiting trial. Other countries don't.

> highest levels of drug use,

Hard to measure, I'd think.

> the highest cases of teen pregnancies, the
> highest rate of violent crime, the highest level of science denial, etc.

That I'd believe.

> Somehow, I would hate to think that "longest continuous government"
> requires any or all of these things, to survive this long.

It doesn't. I'm thinking it's because of the flexibility of the constitution
along with its inflexibility in some respects.

> And, its not
> so clear why, "only modern country that has relatively weak gun laws",
> is on the "good things" side of the line, instead of right up there with
> the other list. ;) lol

True, but you also have to ask about the attitudes behind it. We're also one
of the few countries where the soldiers don't swear to obey the leaders, for
example, but rather the country's legal system.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)