POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A fatal mistake : Re: A fatal mistake Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A fatal mistake
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Oct 2009 08:04:46
Message: <4ac88f5e$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Welcome to my church. It's not quite finished yet...
>> Suffice it to say, it's frickin' HUGE!
>
> It's certainly higher than most goth cathedrals... :)

Well... It's only 100 meters tall. (That's about 300 feet or something,
right?) The central tower is higher though.

>> Also: Moving objects around is almost intractably hard. Seriously.
>
> welcome to 3D visual modelling! :D

Fair play to SketchUp; this is the first time I've ever managed to model
something more complex than a few spheres and cylinders in CSG.

The fun part is this: Say you want to add a window. So you draw a shape,
fiddle with it, and then cut it out. Oh, wait, that's not quite in the
right spot. OK, well I'll just... ah. Once you *cut* the window, you
lose all ability to modify it any further. You can't edit the original
curve any more, because it doesn't exist.

Now, sure, if your window is rectangular, the push/pull tool makes it
easy enough to continue. But what if you made a *circular* window? Or
some even more complex shape?...

> There must be something similar to Blender, where you may organize objects by
> layer (and select visible ones) and also may focus on editing certain parts of
> an object while others are hidden.  Makes quite a difference.

Yeah, SketchUp allows you to hide parts that you're not interested in.
(They're still affected by certain edit operations though...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/