POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development : Re: Programming language development Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming language development
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Oct 2009 18:58:05
Message: <4ac7d6fd$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Darren New schrieb:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>> Erlang? Tcl? LISP?
>>
>> Actually, Ada can do this too, I'm pretty sure, even without using its
>> OO features.
>
> "Non-OO mainstream (imperative) language"?
>
> These languages all don't appear to fit that bill.

You don't think Ada or Tcl is mainstream?  Just because you haven't run into
them doesn't mean they're not widely used.

Heck, many of the GUIs you see out there are based on Tk, which is based on
Tcl, which isn't OO.  Fire up Python's IDLE, for example, and note that it
has a Tk logo in the corner.

> Though it wouldn't stand in the way of that.

To some extent it would, depending on how your OO is integrated with the
rest of your system. OO tends to have many references to one object
scattered about in other objects. You have to avoid that if you're going to
incrementally upgrade code as it runs.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)