POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development : Re: Programming language development Server Time
9 Oct 2024 04:03:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming language development
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Oct 2009 16:49:44
Message: <4ac7b8e8$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> Darren New schrieb:
>>
>>> Or take something like a big windowing system, or a 3D graphics
>>> system, or a physics library, and try to document *just* the routines
>>> without documenting the architecture of the system.  You'll spend
>>> three days trying to find out where to start reading the documentation.
>>
>> You mean, like the Windows API documentation? :-P
>
> Exactly. That's why there are classes and books on programming with the
> Windows API. You can read IDispatch all you want, and if you don't know
> what COM *is*, it's going to be meaningless.

Snort. Worse than that. You can read every book ever written on COM and
IDispatch and still not be able to answer this question: "How do you
take advantage of the 'design mode' flag used to change the behavior of
controls in a control container, of which all correctly designed
containers possess, without being forced to use those containers in the
MS compiler suite, which seems to be the only application that actually
**uses** this badly documented feature?" Basically, you want to know how
to make you control react to it, great! You want to create a control
container, like a window, then "tell" that window to turn on 'design
mode', so you can use the existing grab handles and functions to move
around the control (never mind disable it, so it won't do nothing while
moving it around), well.. tough luck, because its **not** in any of
their damn documentation, anyplace, as far as I could ever find.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {