POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development : Re: Programming language development Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming language development
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Oct 2009 15:47:37
Message: <4ac7aa59$1@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
> that people don't want to write the documentation at first.

Generally speaking, people who hack code don't write the documentation
before the code. And once the code is written, there's no benefit to the
author to write the documentation.

The real problem is that most hackware is written by people who don't know
what they want. They don't figure out what they want to code to do before
they write the code.

Me, I write the documentation *first*. That way, I know when I'm done. If
it's small enough that I don't do that, it's small enough that you don't
need documentation.   But even that little 50-line DF3 converter program I
posted here, I wrote the help message first.  I can't imagine how I could be
productive writing code if I don't know what I want it to do when I'm done.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)