POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development : Re: Programming language development Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming language development
From: Chambers
Date: 3 Oct 2009 12:51:49
Message: <4ac78125$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> where something that looks like UML can be
> turned into source code and back again with the appropriate tool.

I'm constantly wondering why we don't have this yet.

In fact, why aren't we all programming by drawing flowchart diagrams,
and defining the behavior of each box on them?

The compiler itself could look at each unit, determine what effects it
has*, and tell you the end state as a result of running that chunk of
code, making documentation unnecessary.  In fact, it might make catching
bugs easier, since it would mention unintentional side effects.

*I realize that this would be impractical for sufficiently large code
chunks (or for sufficiently large groups of code chunks), but it's easy
enough to put a soft limit in there that the developer could adjust.
The developer could set, say, the number of lines they want the
displayed output to fit into and, for anything more complex than that,
it simply wouldn't show it.

...Chambers