POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Smoothing" a mesh2 object : Re: "Smoothing" a mesh2 object Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Smoothing" a mesh2 object
From: clipka
Date: 3 Oct 2009 11:53:32
Message: <4ac7737c$1@news.povray.org>
Inquisitor schrieb:

> But thanks... at least it confirms that it wasn't built in and I was just
> overlooking something obvious.  I guess, I'll just have to do the vector math in
> the script from scratch.  Just a little disappointing that POV-Ray does it...
> just not exposing it on Mesh or Mesh2 as an option.

POV-Ray does it for /height fields/, but those are totally different
animals. Normal computations for height fields are not performed in the
"mesh domain" (in fact height fields are not even represented as meshes
internally), but in the "image domain" (based on the value differences
between adjacent pixels), which obviously is impossible to apply to meshes.