POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now *that* would run POV-Ray : Re: Now *that* would run POV-Ray Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now *that* would run POV-Ray
From: Warp
Date: 3 Oct 2009 10:02:03
Message: <4ac7595b@news.povray.org>
> Are you seriously suggesting that POV-Ray can simply be recompiled for
> any possible architecture that possesses a C compiler? I would think
> it's more work than that.

  The backend (ie. core renderer) should be pretty much standard portable
C++, so if a standard conforming C++ compiler exists for the architecture,
the POV-Ray backend should be compilable to any such architecture. It's
then only a question of creating a frontend (in its most basic form it's
simply I/O: Some way of feeding the SDL file to the backend, and some way
of outputting the resulting pixels somewhere). Of course if the system
already has support for an existing POV-Ray fronted (eg. a unix-style
command-line interpreter) then it's much easier.

--
                                                          - Warp