POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Targa format specifics : Re: Targa format specifics Server Time
5 May 2024 11:06:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Targa format specifics
From: DungBeatle
Date: 2 Oct 2009 18:46:02
Message: <4ac682aa$1@news.povray.org>
Found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truevision_TGA
http://www.organicbit.com/closecombat/formats/tga.html
http://tfcduke.developpez.com/tutoriel/format/tga/fichiers/tga_specs.pdf

Some source code:
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/tga/tgatest.c

I have a pretty book on Graphics File Formats and if you
can't find what you need here, I'll scan the pages in over
the weekend...

"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom>
wrote in message
> I understand that POV does not use color-mapped images of
any format, but I am
> working on a program that reads targa files, and the
information I've found
> regarding the pseudo-color format is descriptively vague
in places.  I'm hoping
> that someone here can remedy my ignorance.
>
> The documentation for the Truevision targa format states
that color map indices
> are stored in the image data as an integral number of
bytes - usually one or
> two - but does not say how to tell if it's one or two.
Seeing as how the
> images can have depths up to 32 bit, I could see the index
values approaching
> four bytes but, again, there's no indication of how big I
should expect the
> index values to be.
>
> Then too, the Targa format tends to put two byte values in
little-endian form,
> or maybe it places all numeric values in little-endian
form, but this