POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development : Re: Programming language development Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming language development
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Oct 2009 09:44:13
Message: <4ac603ad$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 a écrit :

> mathematical description of what the program is supposed to do

Ahahah. even the simple "description of what the program is supposed to
do" is usually a long painful phase between the requester and the
programmer.

Users do not know what they want. When they do, they usualy fail to
express it. And should it happened, there would be some misunderstanding
at some stage.

Remember, the "What" is not only the purpose, but also often the how.
and the devil is in the details.

"I want a raytracer..." is not a specification. Too ambiguous.

I want the program to output "Hello, world!", now, that's enough.

And for the nice one: "I want a proof of the Fermat..."

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.<br/>
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?<br/>