POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tchaikovsky : Re: Tchaikovsky Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tchaikovsky
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Oct 2009 18:02:20
Message: <4ac526ec$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:36:10 -0700, Kevin Wampler wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> John Cage? ;-)
>
> I'm sure he at least wouldn't mind 4'33" ;-)

I think it rather depends on what occurs during that period of time.  The
premise of that score is interesting, though.  The thing I found funny
about Cage's scores was that they tended to look more like they came off
an EKG machine rather than musical notation.  I remember one that had
three graphs - one for pitch, one for amplitude, and one for rate (IIRC).

> Along these lines I was very surprised to find that a professor who was
> sitting in on a computer science seminar with me was actually a pupil of
> Xenakis.  He had some amusing stories to tell about how Xenakis once
> cleared out an entire concert hall save for three of his students
> (including the professor) in the front row.

LOL - so how does the story go?

> I was also lucky enough to hear a good reproduction of La Légende d'Eer
> in an actual concert a couple of years ago.  My girlfriend who I'd
> dragged to the event was somewhat less enthusiastic.

I'm going to have to look that one up - I don't think I've ever heard of
it before.

Jim