POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cathedrals : Re: Cathedrals Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cathedrals
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Oct 2009 13:54:15
Message: <4ac4ecc7$1@news.povray.org>
Le 01/10/2009 18:48, Mike Raiford nous fit lire :
> On 10/1/2009 10:22 AM, clipka wrote:
>
>> Render times are quite moderate, too. Just avoid differences and
>> intersections with too many members, and then there will be cake.
>
> Speaking of ...
>
> If there any feasible fix for the difference/intersection ray/object
> intersection performance problem? (I mean, aside from altering the scene
> file...)

the "problem"b (as far as I know) is only due to the bounding box
computation. If you can get a better bounding box, you would save a lot
from real object computation.

Now, If you think you have a solution, try it on that:

intersection of sphere at <0,0,-10>, radius 10.3
with sphere at <0,0,10>, radius 10.3

the bounding box of each sphere is a box of 20.6 side.
the bounding box of the intersection is 20.6 x 20.6 x ~40
(that's a volume!)
But the real object is a very very small lens near the origin.

Each time a ray hit the bounding box, there is a real computation for
the object (and that could be lengthy).

So, if you can pre-compute a better bounding box, your issue is nearly
solved. (as long as you did not remove manual bounding in the option line)
(Don't dream to much, no automatic solution (yet ? make a name, find
it!) would be possible)

(and to make thing worst, you can replace the sphere with more complex
shapes... good luck)