POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development : Re: Programming language development Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming language development
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Oct 2009 13:47:06
Message: <4ac4eb1a$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Hey, could you have named a language to write production-quality /OOP/
> code 8 years after the concept was first mentioned?

Sure. Both smalltalk and simula were used in production environments.

Just ... things moved on without them.

> No, because the home user will not normally have 64 processes to run,
> but he'll still expect his software to run 4 times as fast on a quad
> core system.

I think many users nowadays are happy with a 1MHz laptop and a 420RPM disk.
Almost everything is I/O time.

> Game developers have already pioneered this area, and I guess as
> multi-core systems get ever more common, whatever mechanisms and
> languages the game developers have come up with will enter mainstream
> languages. It may take some time, but it will happen. And we may be
> surprised what software can then benefit from multithreading once it
> becomes easier to express process interactions.

Yeah. That's definitely a change driven by new hardware paradigms, tho.
Besides that obvious change, what else, tho?  What would make it easier to
write documentation? To avoid security problems? To get multiple people
interacting on one code base? Or the perennially favorite, "reusable code"?

> This is probably the case in business software, which is a different
> animal anyway, but software quality hasn't been playing a /too/ big role
> in consumer software,

Possibly because it's too hard with current languages. Too easy to make
mistakes that cost too much to find. But that's exactly the sorts of things
that HLLs, structured programming, and OOP were supposed to help with.

> The multi-processing challenge /is/ a surprise to software
> developers, as a decade ago nobody would have thought that the increase
> in computing power would take /this/ route in consumer computers. So
> there's a growing computing power "vacuum" waiting to be filled. And it
> /will/ be filled.

That's a point.

I'm just hoping that .NET or C++ isn't the pinacle of software language
design. ;-?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)