POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development : Re: Programming language development Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming language development
From: Captain Jack
Date: 1 Oct 2009 13:33:40
Message: <4ac4e7f4$1@news.povray.org>
news:4ac3fcc5$1@news.povray.org...

> Why has programming language development been functionally stalled for 30
> years?

I remember predictions (from about 30 years ago, interestingly; 1980,
specifically) that the computer world would move toward having a single
programming language that everyone would use for everything, with something
like little high speed translators that would make the code run on whatever
platform it was on. I recall three different people (all academics, natch)
making predictions of this sort. One said the "universal" language would be
based on C, one cited Pascal, and the other one used the phrase "Super
LISP", although he didn't really explain what would be super about it.

I recall that later I was discussing this with a friend of mine who was an
engineering student and was, during the conversation, struggling with
Fortran related homework. His comment was, "as long as it ain't COBOL, I'm
happy."

:)