POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tchaikovsky : Re: Tchaikovsky Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tchaikovsky
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Oct 2009 11:58:20
Message: <4ac4d19c@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 16:53:39 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Yes, because I ACTUALLY WANT TO BECOME CLINICALLY INSANE. :-P
>>
>> Well, it is a pretty cool piece of music.  I may have to listen to it
>> today, in fact. :-)
>
> Well good for you. :-P

:-)

>>> Man, I had literally no idea how hard this was going to be...
>>
>> That level of music is by its very nature difficult.
>
> Doesn't sound very difficult. But Jesus, I'm twisting my hands into
> knots trying to follow all these crazy notes!

That's often the most difficult music.  Some of the most technically
challenging music I've played are pieces like the Barber Adagio for
Strings - its simplicity makes it very difficult because (a) it's so
recognisible and (b) its subtlety makes mistakes in performance glaringly
obvious.

>> I was listening to
>> Paganini's 1st violin concerto the other day, and wondered what it was
>> that caused such a deep-seated hatred of violinists. ;-)
>
> Paganini was a violin virtuoso, so it probably wasn't that hard for
> HIM...

He did write them to showcase his own talents, but for most others things
like left-handed pizzicato thrown in with bowed elements (such that it
would be physically impossible to do the pizz with your right hand even
if you wanted to) or double-stop artificial harmonics (single-stop
artificial harmonics are a challenge on their own because the interval is
so precise).  The speed isn't the killer, it's the precision and mix of
elements that will drive you insane. ;-)

> (I saw a piece of music the other day. Apparently Bach wrote it as a
> simple piece of organ music to teach his wife how to play organ.
> Except... well, this is Bach we're talking about here, so it's NOT
> simple at all!)

LOL

Jim