POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta 34 : Re: Beta 34 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 34
From: Dre
Date: 30 Sep 2009 22:54:11
Message: <4ac419d3@news.povray.org>
"Sabrina Kilian" <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
> Dre wrote:
>> Hi, is there any reason why the windows version of 3.7 beta 34 installs
>> into:
>>
>>  c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\povray
>>
>> when using XP without asking??  IMO thats a really bad place for
>> software,
>> in a user profile!!!
>>

> Because of Microsoft. This was discussed a lot on one of the beta
> groups, the reasons are all there if you would like to read over them.

I'll go check them out, thanks for the heaps up.

>> I then tried to run it only to find out it has an expire of....TODAY!
>> Terrific.  This put me off the beta versions last time, the one time I
>> decide to try the new version out again and again I'm locked out.
>> Wonderful!
>>
>> Why wont 3.7b let me install it where I want?
>>
>> Why does 3.7b have an expiry date in it when there is no new beta to take
>> its place?  (why does it have one at all!??!?!)
>>

> Because it is beta. I know, Google has destroyed the meaning of that
> word by getting people to feel that beta applications can be stable and
> require little user testing. But for most software folks, beta really
> just means "We need more people testing this than just our internal test
> team, so here, have at."
>
> The expiration is there because, without it, people think that Beta 24
> is stable enough to be running now, and would still be reporting bugs in
> it that have been fixed. If you really want to use the beta version,
> wait for the button and click it.

So because there is an arbritrary date set, testers have to put up with
annoying nag messages?

>> I've been using POV for years and years but this sort of thing makes me
>> look
>> elsewhere, its really not neccessary...
>>
>> Cheers Dre
>>

> Look back at the stable version. If testing software, finding unexpected
> bugs and reporting them, or having a program crash doesn't appeal to
> you, a beta is not the right place.

I've used beta's for years yet POV is the *only* program without fail that
has these unneccessary restrictions.

Oh well, looks like I'm on my own here, back to your regular programming.

<looks around for other renderers to try>

Cheers Dre