POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta 34 : Re: Beta 34 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 34
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 30 Sep 2009 20:19:28
Message: <4ac3f590$1@news.povray.org>
Dre wrote:
> Hi, is there any reason why the windows version of 3.7 beta 34 installs
> into:
>
>  c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\povray
>
> when using XP without asking??  IMO thats a really bad place for software,
> in a user profile!!!

Because of Microsoft. This was discussed a lot on one of the beta
groups, the reasons are all there if you would like to read over them.

> I then tried to run it only to find out it has an expire of....TODAY!
> Terrific.  This put me off the beta versions last time, the one time I
> decide to try the new version out again and again I'm locked out.
> Wonderful!
>
> Why wont 3.7b let me install it where I want?
>
> Why does 3.7b have an expiry date in it when there is no new beta to take
> its place?  (why does it have one at all!??!?!)

Because it is beta. I know, Google has destroyed the meaning of that
word by getting people to feel that beta applications can be stable and
require little user testing. But for most software folks, beta really
just means "We need more people testing this than just our internal test
team, so here, have at."

The expiration is there because, without it, people think that Beta 24
is stable enough to be running now, and would still be reporting bugs in
it that have been fixed. If you really want to use the beta version,
wait for the button and click it.

> I've been using POV for years and years but this sort of thing makes me look
> elsewhere, its really not neccessary...
>
> Cheers Dre

Look back at the stable version. If testing software, finding unexpected
bugs and reporting them, or having a program crash doesn't appeal to
you, a beta is not the right place.