POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare Efficiency : Re: Healthcare Efficiency Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare Efficiency
From: Captain Jack
Date: 30 Sep 2009 11:26:53
Message: <4ac378bd$1@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <Ben### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> The US spends 16% of our GDP on healthcare.  That's more than we spend on
> defense, and we're fighting in Iraq *and* Afghanastan!
>
> It's more than any other nation in the world.  Technologically, we're also
> more advanced than any nation outside of the G8.
>
> Yet, in terms of the care we receive in exchange for our dollars, we rank
> 37th in the world.
>
> For all that people complain about governmental inefficiency, I have a
> hard time believing that public healthcare would be *worse* than what we
> have now; in fact, I'm quite optimistic about its chances of being better.
>
> ...Chambers

Ooh... I love the statistics game! I'll take a turn:

Who's calculation of the GDP? What adjustments were taken into account in
the calculation?

Who came up with 16%? Is it rounded off? What's that work out to per capita,
as opposed to as a chunk of the GDP?

What, exactly, is meant by "healthcare" in the first statement? I bought a
bottle of aspirin this morning, does that count? What about the cost of
building a hospital? What about people who invest in medical money markets?

Is the 16% more than other nations %, or is the dollar amount more than
their (adjusted) dollar amout?

37th according to whom? What was ranked? Is that for the whole nation? Does
it include protectorates of the US? Does that compare with countries with
the same "technologically advanced" nations?

What does "technologically advanced" mean, specifically, in this context?

*giggle*

(Note: Not trying to make light of a problem, just the concept of
statistics. Please stay calm, my flame retardent suit is out for repairs...)