POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : pagefile.sys : Re: pagefile.sys Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pagefile.sys
From: clipka
Date: 29 Sep 2009 05:24:56
Message: <4ac1d268$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> I'm not sure I'm following. I'm just talking about it having two parts -
> the UI, and the file system operations.

No, it's actually three parts:

(1) The UI to pick which drive to defragment, to visualize
defragmentation status, and to show a report afterwards

(2) The decision-making where to actually put exactly which file (the
"business logic" so to speak)

(3) The low-level code to swap one particular block with another in a
safe way

I'm not too familiar with NTFS, but I expect (3) to be not too
complicated, even if it may not be as simple as with FAT partitions,
while (2) is the one that actually determines the quality of the
defragmentation result: For instance, whether files in the same
directory are kept close together, or whether they are grouped according
to other criteria; how much free space is inserted after each file; and
plenty more stuff like that.