POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : pagefile.sys : Re: pagefile.sys Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pagefile.sys
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Sep 2009 22:48:12
Message: <4ac1756c$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> While the low-level code to perform the actual /swapping/ of individual
> blocks of NTFS may well be MS stuff,  /everything/ on top - including
> such essential decisions as where to put which block of a file - is up
> to individual software tools,

Yes.  But that's really pretty trivial stuff compared to actually writing
the code in the file system that makes it work.

Executive Software wrote the code to do the swapping on the VAX, too. I.e.,
they wrote *all* the code, not just the code to invoke the API to defragment
a file.

> and if MS did write anything of that which
> is included in Windows XP, then apparently it's only the UI.

If MS wrote the UI for XP, then everything is written by MS, since the UI
for XP just makes the decisions about where to put the blocks of the files
and swaps them. I.e., if MS wrote the UI for XP, and the algorithm for
picking which files to move where, and the API for swapping the blocks, then
they wrote everything, right?

I'm not sure I'm following. I'm just talking about it having two parts - the
UI, and the file system operations.

> According to Wikipedia, the defragmenter that shipped with Windows 9x
> was no MS stuff either, but licensed from Symantec.

Yes.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)