POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : pagefile.sys : Re: pagefile.sys Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pagefile.sys
From: clipka
Date: 28 Sep 2009 22:43:12
Message: <4ac17440@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> clipka wrote:

>>> That may have been true a long time ago, but I don't expect it's true
>>> any more.
>>
>> Vice versa actually: They used to develop their own defrag,
>
> No, they used Executive Software's DiskKeeper stuff. MS developed all
> the APIs and such. Executive Software just wrote the user interface part
> (and of course provided info on how the API should be designed). I'm
> pretty sure nobody outside MS wrote software that frobs the NTFS file
> system to rearrange blocks.

"Diskeeper is a file system defragmenter originally for the VAX series
of minicomputers and later released for Microsoft Windows. It is the
flagship product of Diskeeper Corporation (formerly Executive Software).
The defragmenter program included with the Windows 2000, 2003, and XP
operating systems is based on a basic version of a previous Diskeeper
version."
(Wikipedia)

While the low-level code to perform the actual /swapping/ of individual
blocks of NTFS may well be MS stuff, /everything/ on top - including
such essential decisions as where to put which block of a file - is up
to individual software tools, and if MS did write anything of that which
is included in Windows XP, then apparently it's only the UI.

According to Wikipedia, the defragmenter that shipped with Windows 9x
was no MS stuff either, but licensed from Symantec.