POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft Search : Re: Microsoft Search Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft Search
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 28 Sep 2009 07:52:03
Message: <4ac0a363$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I've always thought that searching the filesystem == you should learn to
> organise your files better.

Yeah, try rifling through 20,000 (tagged) photos looking for pictures
that include your son, your wife, her father, and her grandparents.

Though you do need to tag the files, searching a large library of images
like this is much easier than, say, looking at each picture trying to
figure out which ones meet your requirements.

> About the only valid use for searching is to search the Internet. It's
> not managed by a single person or entity, it's vast, and so it's
> infeasible to find stuff on it "manually". A search engine is a valid
> solution to this problem. I think anywhere else, the need for a search
> engine indicates that you are organising things poorly.

Oh, you did say vast, didn't you ... :slinks away in embarrassment:

--
~Mike