POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : pagefile.sys : Re: pagefile.sys Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pagefile.sys
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Sep 2009 18:31:33
Message: <4abfe7c5$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Uh. Doing that requires shutting up off, then rebooting, then
>> defraging the drive, then turning it on again..
>
> If you don't have enough space to put a pagefile on your machine that's
> contiguous, then you're going to get fragmented files and all. Yep, yep,
> yep!

Get enough now. Already defragged it once. Went from 33,000+ fragments
to 1,000, but.. Still be be nice for more.

Still, point is, if you have memory free, open or not, I see no reason
why, if you have free real memory, you couldn't page in some of the file
that isn't "in use", page it back out someplace saner, etc. and defrag
it that way. Ironically, its one thing I almost miss from the old
Win3.11 days, where you could use Norton's defragger to defrag
everything "including" the page file, and shift files you use a lot
closer to the start, and unscatter directories, *and* consolidate free
space. I get that Windows defrag now does most of those, but it does
them damned inefficiently, and no matter how many times you "force" it
to consolidate files, it will flat out *refuse* to consolidate the free
space, even when there is no sane reason to leave a handful of files
scattered willy nilly over the remaining disk space.

And, that is the problem. If you need to defrag something like the page
file, during boot, how do you do that, if it won't move the stupid files
that are in the way? :(

Actually reminds me of the ice truck issues at work. Big days for
shoppers we bring in a truck. The normal method of handling this seems
to have been to spend 3-4 hours trying to get early customers to move
their damn cars, so we could park the thing. This year we spent 2 hours,
at night, waiting for people to get a hint and stop parking where we
where trying to rope off, so that we just had to move the ropes the next
day. This, obviously, worked a whole lot better. lol

> The only XP memory limits I know of was running into the 4G boundary.
> And apparently that's a licensing thing - seems XP x86 is happy to use
> however much memory you put in there, except that Microsoft tells it not
> to.

Yeah. I know. But, the hack requires changing the boot.sys file. They
managed to make the OS smart enough to boot anyway, if its
damaged/missing (mine is missing for some reason), but didn't include
any way to rebuild it, if you lost/mangled it. So.. No file, no clue how
to write it, and therefor, no means to override the setting.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {