POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google stereotypes : Re: Google stereotypes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google stereotypes
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 27 Sep 2009 07:20:45
Message: <4abf4a8d$1@news.povray.org>

news:4abee0c2$1@news.povray.org...
>I actually saw an article recently about how writing skills are better
>today than they were 20 years ago.  Specifically, the ability of a writer
>to adapt their work for their target audience.
> Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it, and google is giving me
> too many unrelated links.

It's about the Standford Study of Writing
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-09/st_thompson
http://ssw.stanford.edu/
The obvious criticism of the study is that it's based on the writings of
Standford students, who are not the most illiterate bunch. The writing
skills of Standford students may be better, but what does it say on the
writing skills of the rest of the population? What rings true, however, is
that people write more, and that just having more venues to write (even if
it's just inane Youtube/4chan/fark comments) is better than not writing at
all.

G.