POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : pagefile.sys : Re: pagefile.sys Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pagefile.sys
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Sep 2009 18:41:26
Message: <4abe9896$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> You would think, even with the slight overhead, trying to keep this
>> thing in one chunk, as much as possible, would have been useful... Sigh!
>
> What makes you think they don't?   If you fill up your disk, you're
> going to get fragmentation.  Recreate your pagefile, and tell it to use
> a fixed size, and you're done.

Uh. Doing that requires shutting up off, then rebooting, then defraging
the drive, then turning it on again.. Well, lets just say that, at least
one person trying this had it render the OS unbootable. I would rather
let the damn thing just handle it itself, which should include imho,
occationally using some idle time to restructure the file, so its
contiguous (like duh!). Near as I can tell, it isn't doing that at all
as part of normal operations.

Main reason I started into my own cleanup was that I was running Halo 2,
with the XP patching, Firefox open (I leave it that way) and 1-2 other
things, folding @home in the background, and the virus scan came up. It
ran out of virtual memory and started going *boom* on me. lol

Got to be about the one and only reason I am looking at getting 7, so it
doesn't have the memory limits XP did. Oh, that and the fact that XP's
boot.sys got mangled at some point (who knows by what), and I am not
sure I know how to reconstruct it, so I could add the dumb flag needed
to make it use more memory... It amazes me some times how much can break
on the OS and still be usable, kind of like owning a car, but where the
tail pipe hasn't fallen off yet, or an engine mount snapped. lol I hear,
kind of like with Windows, some people never had the cars, which got
recalled for their tendency to burst into flames, ever actually burst
into flames too... ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {