POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Geocities Follow-up : Re: Geocities Follow-up Server Time
16 May 2024 20:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geocities Follow-up
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 26 Sep 2009 13:00:25
Message: <4abe48a9@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:

> "Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
>> "Sabrina Kilian" <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for gathering it all into links. I will go through and make a
>>> copy of anything that is available for download. In case we get in touch
>>> with anyone after the sites close, the source code and other stuff will
>>> still be available.
>>>
>>> And if it is free to redistribute under a non-CC license, I can drop it
>>> on my personal domain for others to use.
>>
>> It just occured to me the some of the macros that a new home can't be
>> found, could exsist on the Wiki enclosed in the <pre> </pre> tags,
>> then just use copy/paste to get the code. Wiki export page function
>> wraps things in xml maybe that's a possibility as well. I could follow
>> up if everyone thinks theres any merit.
>>
>> Jim
>
> I reckon that a web site would be best and simplest. There might be a
> mixture of pov, inc and ini files, plus maybe height field graphics etc.
> and it's easiest to just redistribute this sort of stuff as it comes.
> If Sabrina has one at an educational institution she can probably save
> zip files, inc files etc. without the limitations that most of the free
> web site hosts put on that sort of thing (a limitation that geocities
> didn't suffer from).
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

The university does not provide very much in the way of storage or
access. But, I have what used to be google pages for lots of storage,
and a very cheap domain with lots (near unlimited) storage. The only
downside is paying bandwidth, which for text files is negligible.

If you all find more pages that need to be backed up, please post them
or email them to me. I will get to them as fast as I can.