POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google stereotypes : Re: Google stereotypes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google stereotypes
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 25 Sep 2009 19:57:36
Message: <4abd58f0$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/25/09 13:55, andrel wrote:
> On 25-9-2009 1:30, Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> In many technical areas (except perhaps engineering), the US has been
>> consistently behind those and other countries for most of the 20th
>> century.
>>
>> Yet it doesn't hurt the country much.
>

> That is because it is freeloading on other countries investments in
> education. For technical areas they have to import most of the PhD
> students from countries that still have an adequate education system. Or
> they simply import them after graduation. Even the ones that are
> homegrown are mainly from asian stock, from families that are not long
> enough in the US to have abandoned the idea that you have to study to
> get a good job. When they have been in the US for one or two generations
> they have found out that in stead of doing something productive or
> something that requires you to use your brain, it is easier to study law
> or something similar. Then you don't have to worry about getting your
> grade and you earn more than when working as a technician or craftsman.
>
> OK, I admit, that is somewhat of a generalization.

	Yes, but even if true, my point is still mildly valid. Having a top
education system need not be a priority, if you can convince smart
enough people to come here.

	It's likely a mix of both, and I'm inclined to lean more heavily
towards what I said: Have a significantly better average will get you
further. Also helps that the US has a lot of people, so even with a poor
education system the number of outliers will still be significant.

--
Blessed are the censors, for they shall inhibit the earth.