POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : pagefile.sys : Re: pagefile.sys Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pagefile.sys
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Sep 2009 13:51:15
Message: <4abd0313$1@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:50:16 +0200, SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
>>> Did you really move it, or did you just create another one? Windows'
>>> pagefile options are per-drive; setting up a page file on a second
>>> drive does not remove any that already exist. If you want to get rid
>>> of C:\pagefile.sys, you must explicitly disable the page file on
>>> drive C. Keep in mind though that some features -- like BSOD crash
>>> dumps -- require at least a small page file on the system drive in
>>> order to work.
>>
>> I set it to "No paging file" for that drive.
>
> What OS? If it indeed shows as "None" for drive C in the settings
> dialog, you should be able to do "attrib -s -h c:\pagefile.sys",
> followed by "del c:\pagefile.sys" (or just hit 'Del' in Explorer), at
> least in XP. In Vista/Win7 you might have to take ownership of the file
> first.
>
> You must of course also reboot after changing page file settings.
>
> Is the new page file located on a drive that requires a special driver?
> If so, Windows might decide to use a page file on C anyway because the
> paging system is initialised very early in the boot process.

On a semi-side note. Had to defrag mine, which Windows doesn't normally
allow. Page Defrag utility from sysinternals works nice (though I need
to run it again, now that I succeeded in defragging all the files I
couldn't, because the page file was in 33,000 pieces... O.o It runs
before anything but the basics starts up, just after the initial loading
screen, so pagefile.sys isn't yet in use.

You would think, even with the slight overhead, trying to keep this
thing in one chunk, as much as possible, would have been useful... Sigh!

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();