POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google stereotypes : Re: Google stereotypes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google stereotypes
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 25 Sep 2009 10:45:06
Message: <4abcd772$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/24/09 22:57, triple_r wrote:
>>   Likewise, some of the things they often teach in the first year of
>> graduate school here in mathematics is often taught in the 4th year of
>> undergrad in universities in other countries (I just saw one where it's
>> taught in the 3rd year of undergrad).
>
> "it" being what?  Just curious...

	Kinda forgot which one. Best guess was either what is introductory grad
real analysis in the US (measure theory, Fatou's Lemma, etc) - or
introductory grad algebra course.

> This actually seems plausible.  Still, they choose their program, so to allow
> more people through, the standards must be relaxed.  As I said above, relaxed

	And they relax it because allowing more people through (thus far) has
proven to be a good thing. Most engineers in the real world don't use
calculus, for example. Why make that the starting point in university?

--
Would the capacity of a Palaeozoic Hard Dive be measured in Trilobites?