POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encouraging "Art" in your child : Re: Encouraging "Art" in your child Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Encouraging "Art" in your child
From: Captain Jack
Date: 24 Sep 2009 11:44:32
Message: <4abb93e0@news.povray.org>
Encouraging your child to be creative may be the very best gift you can give
her, I think.

I'd suggest you get her a copy of the basic version of the software Anime
Studio from Smith Micro. It's really very easy to use, it's not awfully
expensive, and it comes with some good starter content. Despite the name,
it's good for almost any kind of 2D animation. You can import your own
images to animate, it's got good vector drawing tools, and it can even
import some 3D content (OBJ format, I think) and give you a 2D
representation of it.

For traditional animation, I highly recommend "The Animator's Survival Kit"
by Richard Williams. It covers 2D cel style animation, but it's got stuff
that's very useful for any animation medium. Another old one I like is
"Timing for Animation".

Manga art on paper, which is the art style that Anime derives from, is
traditionaly done with brush and ink or brush markers. If you hunt around
you can find some nice felt tip brush markers that are made with the Manga
artist in mind; they'll come in sets of varying thickness, with black and a
couple of shades of gray.

For general study in drawing, you can't beat "Drawing on the Right Side of
the Brain", by Betty Edwards. There's a companion workbook you can get for
it that's pretty good, too.

I've found a lot of good art instruction books at my local used bookstore
(Half-Price Books is the chain I have access to around here) and they're
always pretty affordable.