POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Laptop recommendations please. : Re: Laptop recommendations please. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laptop recommendations please.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Sep 2009 14:25:02
Message: <4ab9167e@news.povray.org>
> 1) Lenovo's business models
> 2) HP business models
> 3) DELL business models

Where I work, all the BD people have Dell Latitude D630 laptops. (Some
of them even have UK keyboards...) They seem fairly small, light, and
with a decent screen. Few other positives.

Note that we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars with Dell every
year, and they *still* don't give a damn about giving us any support -
in spite of the numerous extra support contracts we pay for. I find it
highly unlikely that they're going to care about a retail customer at all.

We also have one HP laptop - I think it's an nx4200 or something. Nice
thing to look at. I can't reinstall the OS though, since you have to
have special IDE drivers before Windoze can "see" the IDE controller.
(WTF?) Also, HP don't supply a restore CD. When you turn the laptop on,
you configure it with a bunch of settings, and *then* it burns a
recovery CD for you - this CD doesn't restore to factory condition, only
to the condition when the CD was burned. Gee, thanks.

Never tried Lenovo.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/