POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux)
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Sep 2009 13:54:28
Message: <4ab90f54@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> The directory in question
> is probably always in use when Windows is running,

Only if you're logged in as that user.

Oh, you want to move the entire documents-and-settings, and not just the
individual user directory inside? Hmmm. You could always boot a livecd to do
it. I guess if you want to move the "all users" thing, you'd have more
trouble than moving just yourself.

If you want to change it when you install, just do this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q236621

If you want to move just your personal home directory, you can find a
registry key called "ProfileList" that will list each user and the full path
to their home directory. It works to move that after install. Log in as
administrator, copy everything to the new place (which is easier in XP than
Vista :-), change that in the registry, and reboot. You should wind up
opening the new location when you go to your documents and such. I haven't
found any program at all that disrespects *this* setting, altho some will
use (for example) "My Documents" under your profile even if you put "My
Documents" somewhere else in XP.

I'd still say getting a bigger disk is likely as easy. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)