POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Laptop recommendations please. : Re: Laptop recommendations please. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laptop recommendations please.
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 22 Sep 2009 13:07:47
Message: <4ab90463@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> Thanks Aero,
> 	I'll look into them. I'm a bit wary of Dell as I've heard that their
> Customer Service is poor but HP and Thinkpads have a good reputation.

You know, that list was written in specific order, DELL being number 3
for a reason ;-).

> I probably
> will buy a laptop in Tottenham Court Road, London so I will definitely try it
> before buying. I can't stand to use trackpoint joysticks and I always seem to
> have ended up using a Synaptics touchpad.

Dell has used a lot of Alps hard-surface touchpads, which IME aren't as
accurate and easy to control as Synaptics's soft ones.

> I'll see what I can find this weekend.

Good luck for you :-).

And yeah, the business models are usually clearly more expensive than
consumer ones, but there is a good reason for that. Like I told Andy, my
02/2007 bought HP NC6320 runs ~35W on full power (ie. using all it has)
and after upgrading the memory to 4GB it's still very usable, running
fine and doesn't have any cracks (the usual place for a laptop to break
down physically is the monitor hinges).

-Aero