POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux)
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Sep 2009 12:54:47
Message: <4ab90157$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (Yes, Darren, I know NTFS supports soft links. However, Windows XP doesn't,
> no matter how much you claim it does.)

It does for directories. It just doesn't have soft links to individual
files. :-)

And that just supports my contention that the only good reason for soft
links is to fix broken programs that shouldn't have been hard-coding
addresses to start with.

(Actually, the one other common use, making libxyz.2.8.so point to libxyz.so
is a pretty good one, since that would seem to be a lot of mechanism in the
loader you can easily bypass with soft links, hard links, or copying the
files, each of which has its own problems.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)