POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Laptop recommendations please. : Re: Laptop recommendations please. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laptop recommendations please.
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Sep 2009 10:30:21
Message: <4ab8df7d$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> My requirements are something lighter than the 3.3 kg the P200D is. I don't need
> a 17" screen but surprise, surprise I do want lots of CPU ticks and PovRay
> power. My budget is up to GBP 1000 but I don't mind spending less. :)
> Any suggestions?

Several months ago.

I was unable to purchase the one with the BluRay drive (mine is "only"
DVD with LightScribe capability). It has a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo (i.e.,
dual-core), nVidia GeForce 7200 graphics card (I still can't quite
believe that part...) and came with 2GB RAM. (I've seen the same model
number offered with slightly varying specs though.)

It's a wide-screen laptop with a full keyboard though (i.e., it has the
numpad keys as well). I don't know if you wanted something a little
smaller. I have no idea what it weighs, but it doesn't seem heavy to me.

In particular, it has an especially nice glide pad - nice in that IT
ACTUALLY FREAKIN WORKS PROPERLY, unlike every other glide pad I've ever
used.

The other nice thing is that no matter how much CPU power you use, the
laptop never, ever gets even remotely warm, and the fans never turn on
(except during boot). OTOH, the power adaptor gets ridiculously hot,
which doesn't make a lot of sense...

The speakers are surprisingly good. Most laptops produce utterly crap
sound, whereas this is half-decent. (Only half... Hey, how big do you
think these speakers are?!)

Only annoyance is the lack of a catch to hold the lid shut. Oh, and
having to uninstall 20 preloaded Acer utilities for people who are too
stupid to operate a computer. But after that it was fine.

http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/350