POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ecomonics : Re: Ecomonics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ecomonics
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Sep 2009 04:58:39
Message: <4ab891bf$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Question: How much does an 80GB HD cost? How much does having 35
>> scientists standing around unable to do any work cost?
>>
>> Is it just me??
>
> No, we had the same here.  Our department got an email from the IT guys
> telling us we'd used up another *10GB* in the last month and this
> couldn't go on.  (Actually after they send out such emails it seems the
> free space actually goes *down*, I can't imagine why).  After much
> discussion it turns out that actually the problem is the nightly backup
> is sometimes not finished by the morning, not the lack of disc space.
> Now they are considering backing up on to external USB hard drives.  It
> is really not very organised, they seem to have no real plan how to
> scale up their backup system in the future as inevitably everyone
> generates more data.

Well, I don't know, saying "hey, we're getting near the limit here"
seems more pro-active than just waking up one morning and finding that
everything has come to a halt.

Also, adding backup capacity *is* more tricky than just adding more disk
space.

I wouldn't mind, but I know the UK site generates about 700KB of redo
logs per day. I don't know what the other sites generate, but it's got
to me *a lot* of traffic for the server to fill up this fast. Either
that or the server is _absurdly_ under-provisioned...