POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ecomonics : Re: Ecomonics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ecomonics
From: scott
Date: 22 Sep 2009 04:54:16
Message: <4ab890b8$1@news.povray.org>
> Question: How much does an 80GB HD cost? How much does having 35
> scientists standing around unable to do any work cost?
>
> Is it just me??

No, we had the same here.  Our department got an email from the IT guys
telling us we'd used up another *10GB* in the last month and this couldn't
go on.  (Actually after they send out such emails it seems the free space
actually goes *down*, I can't imagine why).  After much discussion it turns
out that actually the problem is the nightly backup is sometimes not
finished by the morning, not the lack of disc space.  Now they are
considering backing up on to external USB hard drives.  It is really not
very organised, they seem to have no real plan how to scale up their backup
system in the future as inevitably everyone generates more data.