POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux)
From: scott
Date: 22 Sep 2009 03:28:40
Message: <4ab87ca8@news.povray.org>
> while you can move the documents, **I know** personally that this breaks
> some applications which expect the document path to remain the same, after
> detecting they are in XP or higher.

Such an application that assumes absolute folder paths that are hard coded
would be ridiculous.  It would mean for instance it would only work on
English 32bit XP and nothing else.  German XP (and I suspect all other
languages) has different folder names for My Documents, 64bit has a "Program
Files (x86)" folder, Vista has C:\Users rather than C:\Documents and
Settings, didn't Win2K have C:\WINNT as the windows folder or something?
Basically such a program would suck so much, the fact that it stored it's
data on C rather than D would be the least of your worries.

BTW Vista can trick older/badly written programs in to thinking they are
writing to a certain location, but actually stores the files in the correct
area.  If you tell Vista your user area is somewhere else (eg D drive) then
really everything will be put on the D drive, even by badly behaved programs
that try to write directly to the C drive.