POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:31:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Sep 2009 18:06:41
Message: <4ab7f8f1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>  Something like a half year ago I had 10 GB of free space in my C: drive.
>> Today I had less than 4 GB,
>
> I think the moral of the story is that nowadays you can't really survive
> with only 4GB or 10GB of free space on the C drive without performing
> regular clean-ups.  I guess most developers assume way bigger hard drive
> space so don't care about leaving around odd MBs here and there.
>
> OOC why such a small C partition?  HDs are really cheap, I don't think
> you can even buy anything under 120GB now.

Older versions of Windows, prior to XP, you could do it, since a)
settings didn't get saved into c:\documents and settings\, and neither
did documents. I don't think there is any *obvious* way to move
settings, and if you did, you would break things that assume they will
be in the same place, instead of checking the current path for it, and
while you can move the documents, **I know** personally that this breaks
some applications which expect the document path to remain the same,
after detecting they are in XP or higher.

What this means in practice is, you can't **clean up** anything, because
any programs that store settings outside the registry, or anything else
they need, will end up on C, even if you install them on Q, or
something. The more things you have installed, the more caches,
settings, data, etc. get shoved into C anyway, and the less and less
room you have for anything else. So, under XP, if you don't do it the
stupid way, which is, "Install everything in the same massive
partition", you eventually run out of room, and not just because half
the shit, including MS' own patches/installers are often too stupid to
clean up after themselves either, never mind anyone else's.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();