POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Enabling relative coordinate placement : Re: Enabling relative coordinate placement Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Enabling relative coordinate placement
From: Chris B
Date: 21 Sep 2009 13:58:06
Message: <4ab7beae@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Chris B wrote:
>> Well I'm glad you pointed that out, I hadn't noticed that geocities was
>> going.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris B.
>
> There are *lots* of POV-Ray related pages hosted on GeoCities. I'm afraid
> they will all disappear as well.
>
> :(
>
> -Mike

Maybe it's worth a thread on povray.general to try and prompt people to move
their POV-Ray stuff across to alternative sites while there's still time.

I did a Google, restricting the domain for the search to geocities.com and
it came back with 540 results, some of which are the same author. It might
be possible to organise a little community project to make attempts to
contact authors to save some of that. We'd need to be a little organised to
avoid spamming authors. Some sites may also give explicit permission for
someone else to copy the content. I'll see if I can get a list off in
machine readable format.

Last night I copied POV-House onto freewebsites.com, which was a relatively
painless process: http://povhouse.freewebsites.com/
I still need to go through and update some links and the free web hosting
sites don't seem to support zip files anymore (or .pov or .inc extensions),
so I put the downloadable files onto MediaFire and linked them into the new
freewebsites.com page.
It only took a couple of hours to do and I plan to do the same with my other
geocities POV sites.

It might be an opportune time to see whether previous generations of macro
and include file authors would be willing for their work to be loaded onto
the POV-Ray Object Collection instead of them having to bother with their
old web sites.

Regards,
Chris B.