POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : When words and phrases change their meaning : Re: When words and phrases change their meaning Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When words and phrases change their meaning
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 21 Sep 2009 11:15:37
Message: <4ab79899@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote in message
>I can think of handful of examples of this.  In most of these cases, the
>meaning has changed to the opposite, and it's quite confusing.
>
> "Gunning for you."  I my mind, it was just a few years ago when this
> meant, "I'm rooting for you." or "I'm behind you 100%."  Now, it's just
> the opposite.  "I'm coming after you." or "I'm going to try to stop you."
> I believe the phrase probably originated in the trenches, and when you
> left the trench, you surely hoped that your friends were gunning for you.
> Or perhaps it had to do with tail-gunners.  If no one was gunning for you,
> you were simply up there flying around while someone else was shooting at
> you! I can still find a couple examples of the older definition on the
> Web, so you don't think I'm just smoking crack. ;-)
> http://www.definition-of.com/gunning+for+you
> http://www.allwords.com/word-gun.html

I was actually wrong about this.  Using Google's book search, I was able to
find the term dating back to at least 1905, and it was always used in the
sense of "I'm coming after you."  But here is where things get tricky.  I
might say, "I'm gunning for Obama to win," meaning "I want Obama to win."
But if I said, "I'm gunning for Obama," it would mean that exact opposite.
Very strange, and both are correct usages.