POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I can't decide which is most awesome : Re: I can't decide which is most awesome Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I can't decide which is most awesome
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Sep 2009 17:05:15
Message: <4ab6990b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Think of it like this: At midday the Sun's gravitation effect on *you*
> is stronger than the Earth's.

I don't think it is, tho.

> However, that doesn't mean you are going to be pulled out of Earth.

If you go to where the moon's gravity exactly matches the earth's gravity,
in space between the two, you'll not be attracted to either one, right? If
you're ten miles closer to the moon, eventually you'll fall onto the moon.
If you're ten miles closer to the earth, eventually you'll fall onto the earth.

>(The reason is that the same gravitation is *also*
> affecting the Earth.) Easier to understand it like this?

I can see where the mechanics of the orbits would have an effect on it.
Maybe I just need more coffee. Obviously the Sun is not wresting the Moon
away from the Earth, so I'll just have to let it perk a while and see if my
hind-brain can figure out an intuitive-for-me way of understanding it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)